Friday, September 21, 2012

Engage

Rehearsals are officially underway.

There's one thing I always want when it comes to rehearsal time: I want the band to always - always - be taking a big step forward. Maybe two or three steps.

Every new tour should be a whole new party. If a fan enjoyed themselves at a show during the last tour, I want to make their jaw drop all over again the next time. That's not to say that every single element should be completely different, (we don't need to be re-orchestrating 'The Rescue' into a country two-step or anything), but I want to always be up'ing the ante; for an entertainer, to bore people is to fail them.

I want the shows to improve from a showmanship perspective as well as a musical one. I know that if I'm not bringing something new to the table each time tour season rolls back around, I feel like I'm not doing my job. Fresh air is the best kind, after all.

Well, I can confidently say that the Tyler Ward Band's most recent rehearsals are checking all of my particular boxes. With a flourish.

I've said it before about Tyler's new record and I feel like I can say it about the way the rehearsals are coming along, as well: I don't think people are quite expecting what we're about to give them. And I love that. I don't want to just impress people, I want to blow them away, and I'm hoping my instincts are dialed in tight on this one.

Now that I've talked us up far too much, I'll wrap this up by saying that I can't wait to get back on stage. It's felt great to be playing through Tyler's stuff again, the old and the new material alike. There's a kind of revitalization that happens when you sit down to play music that you love with guys you love to play it with - it feels right. It feels correct. Like you're right where you're supposed to be.

I love that feeling. Here's to the audience feeling it, too.

T-minus 13 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips