Friday, October 19, 2012

Random Thoughts from The Road

Why is it that American hotel chains are the ones always overcharging us for accommodations? I'm starting to feel a bit abandoned by my peoples.

What is it with girls fainting at rock shows? I'm starting to think we're toxic or something.*

I crave the written word. I have to read on the road. I get far too grouchy if I don't. Something about massaging my brain that way has got to happen for me on a consistent basis, even out here on tour.

I crave the silence. Sound is our job and we crank a ton of it out every single day (both on stage and off...). I love the quiet when I can get my ears on it.

Everest? Shmeverest. Try going low-carb in Europe.

Bremen was the first official sellout of the tour and I'm glad to report it was a great show. Great room. Great crowd. Great performance.

Bremen
Some faceless net jockey gave us a pretty awful review online for our show in Cologne. They said we "overplayed". Not sure if that means we played too long (too many songs in our set) or we played too much (too many notes in our songs). Either way, I'll take all the people bombarding Tyler's Facebook page within 5 minutes of the show being over for every one crud review we get here and there. Can't please everybody.

After all my blabbering before the tour, I think it's safe to say that we've accomplished our mission of stepping up our game this time out. It's only been a few months since our last rodeo, but I'm pleased to report that I'm actually enjoying listening to some of the playback from our performances. What do ya know? All the work actually does pay off from time to time.

I wish churches in America looked more like churches in Europe.

I still suck at predicting what's going to make for a huge hit song & what doesn't have a chance. Dating back to high school, when I first heard Linkin Park and declared to all the rest of my buddies in the car that, "This'll never last," I've always been a complete mook at being able to accurately foresee the future in regards to hit songs. Ah, well. I guess that's why my bag is in the playing and not so much in the writing. It seems that this old soul just doesn't get it much of the time.

A fellow classmate of mine who tied the powerhouse duo of Joshua Corbett & myself for 1st place in our high school talent show just made it onto an episode of CBS's Blue Bloods. I wonder what all those people in the audience that night would think if they knew...


* UPDATE: turns out that a big part of the reason we've been having so many fainting spells is that fans are not being allowed to bring water from outside the venues inside with them. So it's not just American companies that overcharge for basic necessities over here, after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips